I made this based on a recipe I saw posted online. I wanted to play around with the measurements and portions. The recipe posted below is for 1 serving. However, the size of my spaghetti squash made it easy for me to make it into 6 servings that I’ll eat this next week (and maybe share with my husband). 😉
This is my one serving size. It was very filling! (along with my huge salad)
Feel free to personalize it. Don’t like spinach? Use 6 ounces spaghetti squash. Want more meat? Decrease the cheese (you could easily double the meat and half the cheeses). Want to use tomatoes instead of marinara sauce? Go for it! Want to go all veggie? Double the cheese! (yum!)
Here’s the recipe. For pictures and details, scroll down. (I hate having to scroll through 10,062 pages of pictures and ads in a blog to get to the recipe! Haha!)
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
- 1 ounce ground beef, turkey, or sausage, seasoned if needed (1/4 protein)
- 1 ounce ricotta cheese (1/2 protein)
- 1 ounce mozzarella/Parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 protein)
- 1 tsp oil for cooking (1 fat)
- 5 ounces spaghetti squash, cooked (5/6 veggie)
- 1 ounce of spinach (1/6 veggie)
- 2 ounces marinara sauce
- 1 garlic clove minced or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Cook spaghetti squash and use a fork to scrape squash from the shell. Measure out 5 ounces. Cook meat, season, and measure out. Measure the remaining ingredients.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add garlic and cook for a couple minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Add spinach to the cooked spaghetti squash.
- Mix ricotta, 1/2 mozzarella/Parmesan cheese mixture, salt, and seasonings together. Add to spinach/spaghetti squash. Stir together until mixed well.
- Mix ground meat and marinara sauce together.
- Layer a baking dish (use a small glass pan like a bread pan or small round casserole dish) with meat/marinara mixture. Top with squash/cheese. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and any additional seasonings. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes.
Makes one serving
- 1 protein
- 1 vegetable
- 1 fat
I batch roasted a couple spaghetti squash I picked up from Walmart. (this is the other half that was left) They are big ones. I like cooking the smaller ones in my instant pot, but these were big enough it was going to be faster to just roast them on a big sheet.
I sauteed the spinach in a little olive oil until wilty. If I had used real garlic, I would have cooked the garlic first for a few minutes before adding the spinach.
I weighed the spaghetti sauce and put it in the bottom of my dish.
Next, I added the cooked ground beef and mixed them together.
Then I topped the ground beef with the spaghetti squash/cheesy mixture.
Last, I topped the dish with the remaining cheese. I also sprinkled it with some more seasonings.
I covered the pan with tin foil and baked it at 425 for about 15 minutes.
This is what was left after I took out my dinner portion. I portioned it out into 5 other containers and dinner/lunch is DONE for the rest of the week! Yay!